From the Author

Monday, March 14, 2016

I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

This was listed as an Animal Truism in my church bulletin.  I remember a recent sick joke I heard. "A man put his wife and his dog in his trunk. Who do you think loved him when he let them out an hour later?"  A dog loves unconditionally and with loyalty if he or she is treated well.  When we are loved unconditionally, it should make us want to reciprocate by loving others unconditionally. It is very difficult to leave our judgmental attitudes behind and replace it with forgiveness and acceptance.  If a dog can do it, it must be possible for humans to achieve this simple faith and devotion.

All of us make mistakes and none of us are perfect.  It is a special gift to receive and give unconditional love.  Another dog truism--"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful!"  We don't have to be wonderful to receive unconditional love.  It should be our goal to be the best that we can be.  God loves us unconditionally and forgives us when we are not wonderful, just human.  He is always there for us to support and love us no matter what happens.  We are never alone.  God loves all of his people in the world.  God asks us to love Him and love our neighbors as we love ourselves.  We are all neighbors to each other.  When we stop condemning and start loving, appreciating and accepting each other, the world will be a kinder and welcoming place.  Each of us has to try to be "the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment