From the Author

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The man in the dollar store

There is a clerk in the dollar store who is a very special person.  I don't know his name but I remember him because of his tremendous smile, his cheerful greeting, his careful questions to make sure I can find what I am looking for.  He is courteous and obviously takes his job seriously and does his best to make my visit to his store memorable.  I also remember the nurse who helped me with my needs after surgery who didn't say, "I'll get the nurse's aid to help you".  She just did what I needed at the time even though it wasn't technically in her job description.  It is not the job that makes the person, it is the person who makes the job.  We have opportunities every day to make a difference in the lives of others.  We may be a homemaker or a house husband, a cab driver, a cleaning woman, a powerful executive, a politician, a doctor, lawyer, a clerk, etc.  What makes a person shine is his or her positive attitude, kindness, compassion, and actions.  A person of faith lives his or her life as an example of God's love.  We are the branches of God's tree, reaching out to touch others with God's love.  I met a co-worker I hadn't seen for many years the other night.  She said, "I didn't remember your name, but I remember how kind you were to me when I was having problems at work."  People may not remember us, but they remember how we treated them.  We all have a calling from God to do his work on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment