From the Author

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Privacy

There is a significant amount of news about the sharing of information on the internet with facebook and other social media. 

I recently was involved with an organization that installed new security cameras in their facility.  I was initially encouraged that it would be a safer place for other volunteers like myself.  What I didn't expect was an unanticipated use of the tapes to monitor the daily activities of unpaid and paid staff by the administration.  I thought that the tapes would only be viewed if there were missing items, a police report or identified safety issues.  I was not expecting the tapes to be utilized as a type of 'spy network'. I know I was being naive as the situation unfolded.  I choose to leave the organization rather than feel like someone was watching every move I made. 

One time I was shopping in Walmart and another shopper apparently took a picture of me with her phone.  I later found out that she posted my picture on her facebook page as she thought I looked like her relative.  I found out when my neighbor told me she recognized me from the post. 

It is becoming difficult to trust each other because of the proliferation of scams, audio and visual monitoring systems, and exploitation of each other on social media.  We need to monitor ourselves and make sure our motives and utilization of technology are helpful rather than harmful. We need to co-exist with technology without destroying our ability to trust each other and interact with integrity.  Life and relationships with others is a precious resource that needs to be valued and protected. 


No comments:

Post a Comment