From the Author

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Road Rage

I was driving at night and was waiting to turn right into traffic in a single lane.  I could see the lights of a car coming from a distance and decided to make the right turn.  I was quickly travelling at slightly over the speed limit.  Suddenly I noticed a car that was obviously speeding come up behind me.  He was apparently angry that I was in his way.  He came up on my bumper, turned on his bright lights and stayed there. I was blinded by the lights and had difficulty seeing the road ahead.  I was finally able to distinguish a left turn and exited as fast as I could to the left.  He raced by and honked loudly and repeatedly.  I was not able to see well enough so I probably missed the visual hand signals as he vented his anger.

I am a senior citizen. I am able to see well enough at night to be safe but the bright lights in my rear-view mirror blinded me to a point that I was afraid I would crash into something.  I could have experienced an accident and could have lost my life. I wondered if the man's road rage was important enough to endanger a life.

A just anger can be used to facilitate change, right a wrong and make the world a better place.  An unjust anger has no outlet except to cause pain, suffering and create fear.  Hatred, bigotry, prejudice, hostility, and malice are like "Burning down your own house to get rid of a rat." Quote from Harry Emerson Fosdick.  We to decide if we send out ripples of love or hate into the world.  We can be the light of love shining into the darkness of hate.  I decided to pray for the man and send him some pease and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment