From the Author

Thursday, September 6, 2018

How Much You Care

"There's an old saying: "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." I've discovered that this is an accurate statement, and one that is worth remembering."  Gordon W., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

"It was my first night caring for an elderly patient. When he grew sleepy, I wheeled his chair as close to the bed as possible and, using the techniques I'd learned in school, grasped him in a bear hug to lift him onto the bed.  But I couldn't clear the top of the mattress.  So I grabbed him again, summoned all my might, and hoisted him onto the bed.

When the night shift nurse arrived, I recounted what had happened. "Funny," she said, looking puzzled.  "Usually I just ask him to get in bed, and he does."  Erin Dockery, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Caring means looking deeper than facts and "book knowledge" and explore the feelings involved in day to day decisions.

"Every day, I recognize the power of kindness to change the world.  I've never been so convinced that kindness is the essential antidote to the divisions and disconnections we're seeing."
Daniel Lubetzky, founder of Kind Healthy snacks and the Kind Foundation which fosters communities that are healthier and more empathetic worldwide

Remember to be kind first and knowledgeable second!  If we can change our immediate world now, maybe change is possible for the rest of the world in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment